Luzhniki (Russian: Лужники) is a Moscow toponym associated with several localities and settlements; currently designates the southwestern part of the Khamovniki district, which became part of Moscow in 1917. As part of the Konyushenny order there were horse settlements: Big Luzhniki and Small Luzhniki. The area, which is now called Luzhniki, was formerly called Luzhniki Small Novodevichi, and at the first mention, in 1638, the settlement Small Luzhniki under the Novodevichy Convent. In 1654, the inhabitants of Luzhniki began to build the wooden church of St. John Chrysostom near the shore and built it “up to the upper platform; and by the will of God there was a pestilence”, the unfinished church “was taken to the Kuznetsk settlement”. In the same place in 1701, the Church of the Tikhvin Icon of the Mother of God was built. In 1955, all buildings between the Okruzhnaya railway and the river were demolished for the construction of a sports complex.