This is the last bastion of glory on Vancouver’s Theatre Row. In the 1940’s and 1950’s, there were a minimum of 20 movie theatres along several blocks of Granville Street. Now, in 2007, there is only one left. It is appropriately named the Granville. It was Cineplex Odeon’s mid-1980’s seven screen showpiece that was built to replace the Coronet Twin and the Odeon. (The latter is now the Plaza nightclub.) It was opened on June 19, 1987.
In 2006 it became a discount theatre. It showed second run films and artsy/obscure fare. It was still a very beautiful theatre and well worth a trip downtown. It closed on November 4, 2012.